Vegan "Shortbread" Muffins

17:43 Posted In , , , Edit This 0 Comments »
Being Norwegian, I grew up with yummy shortbread treats in the house. Full of butter and crumbly and delicious. Now that I am vegan I have been missing those flavors until I found this recipe for muffins.

It's crumbly and even has a buttery shortbread like flavor. And my kids love it too! It comes from the book, "The Complete Vegan Kitchen." I am not totally in love with this book as it uses a lot of specialty ingredients instead of real food, but some of the recipes are total gems like this one.

The book calls them "Polka Dot Muffins" and I have altered the recipe a little bit.

1 1/4 cup flour (white or wheat works)
1 cup uncooked cream of wheat
1/2 cup sucanat (I love this because it's way better than sugar, but if you don't have it sugar is fine)
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp baking powder (Aluminum free is best!)
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup almond milk (or rice, or soy, or hemp, or any of them)
3/4 cup olive oil or other oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat to 375, grease or line 12 muffin tins.

Combine all the dry ingredients, then add all the wet ones.

Divide batter between the 12 cups.

The directions say bake for 35 minutes, but I have never needed more than 20. So set it for 20 minutes and check it!

0 comments: